Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pella Tulips

I have been wanting to go to the Pella Tulip festival the entire time we've lived here. It's a tiny little Dutch town about an hour away with all these cute little shops and tulips everywhere in May. Well of course, I finally decide we HAVE to go this time cause it's our last chance and what happens? Freak snow storm. On Cinco De Mayo weekend! Ridiculous.

So I finally got to go out there this morning, the boys and I drove out before 9- perks of them waking so early I guess, we got out before this weird heat wave came through (it's 98 degrees right now!).

It was so pretty and I want to live there! It's almost exactly like Fredericksburg, for my Texas peeps- only Dutch instead of German. I loved all the houses and wished I could have gone into all the museums and antique stores but my stroller and two boys did not allow such a thing. Sad Face.

But we got to see the flowers and get some Almond Letters from the big time bakery there, so it was all good! We topped the trip off with a couple slices of pizza from Casey's General Store (an Iowa gas station that makes pizza too, haha) and a Dr. Pepper and bright red sweaty faces. It was fun and we only had one small tantrum when Ellis didn't want to leave the water fountain (of course).

Tulips all over the town



 "Cheeeese!"
 "OWL!!!!"
 Trek across main square to "owl"
 The "Owl"



 "Here Ellis let's sit Hudson down and help him smell some flowers," says I, hoping to get him to sit for a picture

 Not what I wanted you to do. I thought for sure the police were gonna come after us.
 Hudson knows it's wrong too.


 Dirty lawbreaker.


 Next to the "owl" and the windmill, an ant was the next most exciting thing on the trip.


 He was OBSESSED with this spinning windmill




Of course he needed a windmill cookie!


 Break to play in dirt.


3 comments:

Barrett Family said...

This is honestly one of my favorite places on this earth. I LOVE the pictures. The tulips look amazing! I LOVE that bakery!!! Oh I miss Pella. I have a dream of living there, but someone told me in that town "if you aren't dutch, you aren't much." I can dream though. I wouldn't have been surprised if you had a run in with the police after that kind of vandalism in Pella!!! Those people are serious about their tulips! Loved the post! The boys are as adorable as ever!

Kelsi said...

Awesome Photos! I can't wait to visit this place. It looks adorable and I love all of the beautiful tulips. I honestly tried to make it happen to this year but the stupid storms came in.

Jennifer Karyn said...

I sure hope our kids marry each other....

i see you too...